Arizona Croquet Club
How to run a tournament
To run a tournament, start with the basics.
- Get an equipment checklist and
make sure you have everything you might need (lastest club inventory).
- Find a suitable court or courts to play your event (court considerations).
- Pick a tournament director.
- Develop a format for the tournament: rules and conditions of play,
block/ladder or mixture, arrange draw
- Draw up schedule and oversee running of games.
When running larger tournaments, especially
involving travellers, please consider adding the following items.
- Pick a tournament manager to
get things organized early.
- Develop budget and manage constraints
- Invite players
- Hospitality: accomodations,
beverages, lunches, parties
- Awards, gifts and clothing
- Program: maps, event details,
rules and schedule
- Round robin block play - everybody plays everybody
- Ladder elimination playoff - single or multiple
- Patmor draw - a combination of these two formats,
starting with 2 or more blocks and ending with ladder playoff
- Egytian format - read How to run an Egyptian format
last updated 17 Feb 2003